New quilting idea for me

country lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Tennessee
I checked out a book from the library: "Adventures with Leaders & Enders-Make More Quilts in Less Time!" by Bonnie K. Hunter.

Instead of using a folded scrap to sew on and off at the beginning or ending of a line of chain piecing, cut two squares accurately (I chose 2 1/2") facing each other, sew a side seam. Then continue on sewing your project. She suggests leaving squares under the needle when finished sewing to start the next time you sew. She also suggested keeping a pile of cut squares near your sewing machine.

I cut up so many little scrap pieces to do this and made my little granddaughter a doll quilt. It turned out beautiful--a miniature quilt and I used everything from my stash including the batting and backing. (FREE Christmas gift!) The author used these squares to make large quilts. These Leaders & Enders can be used to make four-patch units, nine-patch, and half-square triangles. Very clever.

That is really clever. I have bags of charm squares that I don't know what to do with and they are already cut all the same size. They would make a really pretty scrappy quilt I bet.

I hate getting the chewed up ends when starting to sew diagnals for 1/2 square triangles, so this tip will really come in handy for me.

Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom