New rabbit (how to introduce them)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cgjsmith, Jul 5, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Hey ya'll we got a new rabbit today age and all (given to me) we put it in the bathroom where my other rabbit has a littler box. they seemed ok then statred fighting. I locked the other one back up. Mr. rabbit keeps going up to thumper (in the cage) and sniffing them should I just leave them like that for a while till they get use to one another? Crystal

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG.....we also got a new bunny today and the one we already had was going to kill the new one. The breeder told me that they will want their own cage........after i already got the 2nd one for company for the 1st one [​IMG] Not his fault.......its mine.....but we already had several cages so it ok. But i guess it can sometimes work if they are raised together as babies.......but even then he said it might not. I felt so sad for the new baby. She is only 4 weeks old and it was so mean. Well, it will never ever go through that again. what kind of bunnies did you get?

3. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Rabbits need to be kept apart once they reach maturity (anywhere from 8 weeks up to about 6 months). If they are littermates, they will still squabble, even if they have always been together. Once they mature and are breeding age, they will become territorial and fight. Females will sometimes fight and can castrate males if you're not careful. Rabbits are solitary creatures, and do better without having company. They can bond to their owners and are very happy that way.

Hope this helps,
    Emily in NC

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I would just stick with separate cages. Rabbits do not usually like room mates. The only time I ever put two rabbits together I put the female in the males cage just long enough for breeding. The other way around can be disastrous. Two males may occasionally get along but I would not risk it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by