new rabbit...new questions

4hLuvers

Chirping
14 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Bay Area CA
hi,
we just got a 9 month old Rex doe and are taking good care of her. The only thing is sometimes when we go to pick her up or give her some food, she makes a low grunting noise. What does this mean??? WILL IT EVER STOP!!!
please help!! I love her so much!!
love.gif

bun.gif
bun.gif
: bun

Last edited:
Some bunnies just grunt. It can be a fearful grunt, or just a grunt. Is she scared when you pick her up? As d.k. said, she could be growling because she is preggo, so I would watch out for that.

I got a "boy" bunnie from a 12 year old 4H girl who swore she was giving him away so he wouldnt get any of her girls preggo. "He" gave birth exactly 31 days after I got "him".
Moral of this story is
1. 12 year old 4H girls have been known to lie.
2. check the "parts" and health of your new rabbit carefully.
3. I'm an idiot
4. Even though you think there is no possible way she could be pregnant, their is.

Hi, I have LOTS of rabbits ( I breed and sell them, and also have pets), in my experience when females do this they are either just a rabbit that does it just because that is the way that particular rabbit is, it is scared or it is pregnant, most generally in my experience the rabbit is usually pregnant, but I do have one right now that is making the noises, she does it the whole time she knows I am out doing chores, I know she is not pregant, as she is in her own cage with no male, she just started doing this like a week or so ago and does it all the time. And I do have one that does it only when I try to pick her up, I think the process of being picked up scares her because she stops as soon as I get her cuddled.

The grunt is just a gesture that they re unsettled and scared.for 23 yrs i,ve raised rabbits this one sounds very nice,if it is for show make sure with a flashlight there are no blue spots in the eyes,this will disqualify her.Also I can not stress enough the importance to Never handle a rabbit very often,They will die quickly,they sure are cute and cuddly but the younger they are,the more quickly they become stressed,be cautious and good luck!!Rex are one of the top breeds right now,lionheads are not allowed in the assoc. yet but soon,they are trying..Checkers also resemble rex rabbits look your breeds over carefully they are also a show favorite ...

Don't know if this helps, but here is a list of Bunny talk--(from a website I have saved)

Interpreting Body Language And Behavior

Rabbits have a language all their own. here are some tips on interpreting your bunnies hops, kicks and grunts.

Sniffing: May be annoyed or just talking to you.
Grunts: Usually angry, watch out or you could get bit!

Shrill Scream: Hurt or dying

Circling Your Feet: Usually indicates sexual behavior.

Spraying: Males that are not neutered will mark female rabbits in this manner as well as their territory. Females will also spray.

Chinning: Their chin contains scent glands, so they rub their chin on items to indicate that they belong to them. Same as a cat rubbing it's forehead on people and objects.

False Pregnancy: Usually unspayed females may build a nest and pull hair from their chest and stomach to line the nest. They may even stop eating as rabbits do the day before they give birth.

Bunny Hop Dance: A sign of happiness.

Begging: Rabbits are worse than dogs about

AK Bird Brain you have given me a great laugh for the day!!! That was funny. We have a rabbit and he is just plain grumpy and spoiled. He grunts when I pick him up and then gives me a good kick! I read that rabbits don't like to be picked up and when they are it sets off their flight response! But you have a yound one and the more you hold it the better it will feel!

Back
Top Bottom