New RIR Rooster ...

wconstantine

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Hampton, New York
Recently, we got a RIR Roo from our plumber because his other roosters were beating up on it. I guess it was in an enclosure with the other Roosters for the winter. :/

Anyway, now we have it and the age is unknown. I was wondering if someone might help figure out how old you think he is? His spur is small still and his crow still seems like its coming into its own. (not sure)

There is one Rhode Island Red hen that has yet to give up the leader role and surrender to him. It's only his second day with our flock and they like him, but he hasn't gained authority yet. Nobody listens if he calls to them ... haha .. Is there anything I can do to help him regain his self-esteem?

It seems like the other roosters did a number on him ... Really timid.

Well, he's not a RIR, but he is going to be a beauty once he 'cleans up'. He may be a cochin cross with that body type and feathered legs? The least dominant roosters actually suffer testosterone suppression when bullied by more dominant roosters. He will not need a little blue pill. Time, less stress and a quieter life will restore his hormone levels, and he will rise to his full roosterly potential. He is really going to be a striking rooster.

It is hard for me to tell for sure. The one photo where I think I can see a spur, it looks like the the tip might have been trimmed off. The spur is fairly thick, so I think he is over a year old. For a better idea of his age, you might as well call the plumber, or I guess he does not know if he did not raise him. It is wonderful that you gave him a a fresh start with his own flock. Personally, I really like having a rooster around. The hens will accept him as there rooster pretty soon, I think, give it time. His scabs on his comb will heal soon, and he will be as handsome as ever.

Last edited:
Thanks! Two good shots of the spur is 4th and 5th from the bottom. The plumber doesn't know ... Someone might have dropped it off to him as he has cows and so forth.

Well, he's not a RIR, but he is going to be a beauty once he 'cleans up'.  He may be a cochin cross with that body type and feathered legs?  The least dominant roosters actually suffer testosterone suppression when bullied by more dominant roosters.  He will not need a little blue pill.  Time, less stress and a quieter life will restore his hormone levels, and he will rise to his full roosterly potential.  He is really going to be a striking rooster.
So you are thinking a Cochin / RIR mix?

Back
Top Bottom