New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Very nice Opa and thanks for sharing this with us. I love it! Do you put anything on top of the astroturf? Do the hens use the boxes without any "bedding" in there? My coop is a combination chicken coop and goat barn with a 4' wide access area between the two spaces. This would be a great place to have the discharge end of your design. I could just walk into the little barn and gather the eggs. Hmmmm pretty cool.

DO NOT use any additional nest materials or the eggs will not roll out. I haven't received my order of additional nest pads so I have had to leave those spots empty. I wanted to install this unit as quickly as possible and once it is installed I can't get very good pictures, so you will just have to imagine that those empty spots have nest pads in them.

Chicken_Angler, I designed this unit to be installed in a indoor wall. My coop has a chicken area and a work/storage area. It could be very easily adapted to install in an exterior wall by simply adding a roof over it after it's placed in the wall and by adding doors to the access side.

Last edited:
Looks great Opa, I can see the longer ramp making a huge difference. Wonder if the egg eating chickens will eventually evolve to having really long necks?
lol.png

Last edited:
Wow! That is so awesome! Do you think it could be done where the eggs roll out the front? Maybe with a piece of wood over the "collection area" to keep them from getting at the eggs.

Quote:
While there would be no way to convert my design into a front rollout nest I'm sure that coming up with a front design wouldn't be that difficult. Just a matter of putting the old brain cells to work.

Hey OPA!
I am one of the folks who got your communal roll-out nest box plans and am anxious for DH to get started. I assume that plan used your old depth dimensions. Since we would be doing an outside mount, I was wondering - you really added a lot of depth (6") to the ramp - do you think something in between the 6 and 12 would do just as well. Otherwise, we are going to have an enormous box sticking out of the coop!
roll.png

Thanks for another great idea and all your help!

Back
Top Bottom