New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

I ordered nesting pads from Cutler on Tuesday, but still waiting on a ship date.
absrio - when you ordered the nest pads, were they the gray ones everyone else seemed to get or the brown ones? Looks like Cutler's only has a brown one now and I cannot tell from the image if they are directional or not. Were yours?

Thanks!

Awesome thread!
I have almost finished constructing my rollaway nest box with 3 nests instead of 6.
Our standard ply sheets here are 1200mm x 2400mm so I have made mine from 12mm and made pretty much the entire thing (minus the back partition and hinged back cover/access door) from 1 sheet. I even found a place that cut everything (excluding the ramps) for free!!! That made things so much quicker :)

I managed to drill, screw and dry fit it together yesterday, then disassembled, glued and screwed back together today.
Hopefully one night this week I can give it an undercoat and paint, and finger crossed fit it to the coop next weekend.

I was planning to use this door mat from Ikea for the nest pads:

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90230563/

Thanks Opa for sharing this great information!!!

Matt

Hi Opa, Spring will be upon us soon here in Londonderry (NSW, Australia), and this "crazy chicken lady" is becoming very clucky. I have just started looking for some ideas for a chicken tractor as my brother has kindly agreed to build some for our family. I have read some of the posts on this thread, and intend to show my brother what you have done, and see if we can incorporate this idea into the tractors. We will only need two nest boxes for each tractor. I think I will go with the idea of a block to create the fall away, so that when they go broody (fingers crossed,) I can remove it and place the eggs for them to sit on. Any advice/suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you for your dedication to helping others Opa. Much appreciated.

Sorry that I haven't answer your question about nest pads sooner. Due to health issues I have given up raising chickens so I rarely am on BYC. The pads you indicated will work perfectly fine as the ramp provides enough downward roll.

Sorry that I haven't answer your question about nest pads sooner. Due to health issues I have given up raising chickens so I rarely am on BYC. The pads you indicated will work perfectly fine as the ramp provides enough downward roll.
Sorry to hear you're not well @Opa . Thank you for answering my query. The nesting pads arrived and they are the kind that all stick up, rather than having strands that all lie in the same direction. I will have to raise the angle where the egg lands to maybe 2 inches per 12 from 1.5 in order to get the egg to roll.

Thanks again.

I am replying so I can find this again
yippiechickie.gif

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Replying so I can keep track of this and continue to read through. Did anyone ask what the pricing on this total nesting box was? Attempting to put together a material list and price it here.

Back
Top Bottom