New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Quote:
Yes, I understand your install. I have read all threads from OP until my first post. I have seen the modifications with the door, boxes attached to the outside of the exterior wall by jalexartis.

If installed on an exterior wall, how do these rear roll outs affect eggs in winter?

If installed on an exterior wall, are eggs more likely to freeze?

Could freezing be prevented with a couple of cleats and a foamboard with a pull string for easy removal and replace?

If I'm going to build this and install it I'd like to know that it is safe all year round.
I'm planning on a small coop, 12'x16', and this would most likely be placed on the outside of an exterior wall to conserve floor space.

Cheers

I am now monitoring the temperature of my coop and find only 1-2-degree difference in temperature, inside and outside. For me it does not matter. I plan to retrieve my eggs soon after they are laid. I'm also hoping NC temps will be above freezing around egg laying time. I have a camera setup that will help me know when there are eggs. Of course, I have the benefit of being retired and always available. --jim

Looks great - but I am interested in the design and materials for the 2 nest box. Are you able to forward these. Thanks

Hello Opa, again I find myself here adoring this beautiful nest box and all the cool ones already done, seems I will be making 1 before I had planned too......
I have an egg eater, 1 of my SS pullets, so now I must remove and figure out how to add your beauti, with a door behind it???? will be interesting. My coop is adjacent to my horse stall, and the wall shares a sliding door, right behind my current nest boxes. Made that way so I wouldn't squish any chickens with the slider..... now not sure what to use to fill that space or if I can invert your design to a front pick box with a lid to cover the eggs. Any suggestions for someone of your expertise would be greatly appreciated, I will take a couple pictures so you can see what I have in the morning. TY so very much again for this lovely design. Kim

Ghostrider, if you could email me some picture so my old feeble brain could better grasp your situation I might be able to figure it out.

Opa,
I took your design and adapted it to my situation (needed front emptying and used rain gutters to make it lighter). We are in the testing phase now!
big_smile.png

69348_img_1628.jpg

Upper row: trough lid is open to show inside of trough
lower row: trough lid closed to show top of lid.

Quote:
And it worked!!!
wee.gif

Lots of eggs in the tray last night (I am not home during the day and apparently I really have some egg eaters).
Problems I had before:
All chickens frequenting the same nest box, thus breaking eggs
Chickens getting a taste for eggs
Eggs sometimes got dirty

All that is now history! The sizes and angles you used are perfect. Thanks again for posting your experience in making these!

Quote:
I love your design maybe something like this would work for me, instead of moving the spot the nest box is, then I also wouldn't have to worry about squishing chickens in the sliding horse stall door........ cool beans. TY for posting pictures. Kim

Hi Opa,

Thank you very much for the plans. I made the box according to the directions, but I think I must have been off a tad with the measurements, or my wood was of a different thickness. Anywho I did it as close as possible to the plans but here is what I came up with... see pics.
smile.png

I think there are a few things I would have done differently. I think I would have made it about 3 inches shorter as it seems too tall, and about 3 inches LONGER in the back for the trough. It just doesn't seem long enough to me. I wonder if I did something wrong.
idunno.gif

SAM_2130.jpg

SAM_2135.jpg

SAM_2136.jpg

SAM_2132.jpg

Back
Top Bottom