New roo-- feed and flock questions

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
Hi there! We have started up a (as of now unofficial) small sanctuary on our land. We started off with some chickens since we already have experience with them. However, as soon as we got the first five hens integrated and happy, an abandoned roo was found and we brought him here. He is quarantining and seems young. A few questions:

Feed: I know he shouldn't have layer feed long-term. I've currently got everyone on S & P. I'd love to find an all-flock of similar quality. Suggestions?

Flock size: I only have five hens so I need a few more so they do not get over-mated, correct? Could 8 hens be enough or is 10 necessary?

Age: how to estimate? He crows and he looks to be almost full-size but no spurs and only one little tail feather as of now.

Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• 90E8C676-433B-4E33-A2EE-BBEC9458F3FA.jpeg
    90E8C676-433B-4E33-A2EE-BBEC9458F3FA.jpeg
    605.4 KB · Views: 103
Suggestions?
I feed a broiler mash with 22% protein that I ferment for the flock and feed in a large bowl. The other half of their feed is a chick starter/grower with 18% protein so they average about 20% protein. The oyster shell is offered in two containers for free choice feeding.
I only have five hens so I need a few more so they do not get over-mated, correct? Could 8 hens be enough or is 10 necessary?
Many people keep pairs and trios and the hens are fine. It really depends on the male. Some over mate a single female in a flock of dozens. The 1:10 ratio is for fertility reasons. Any more hens than that and fertility will drop in the hens.
how to estimate? He crows and he looks to be almost full-size but no spurs and only one little tail feather as of now.
I would estimate his age to be between 19-23 weeks. So he's a cockerel still.

Last edited:
What DobieLover has written above.
Usually a rooster will have his favourite hens and he will mate with those more than the others. What can be important is at least trying to match the size of the rooster to the hens. This may save some broken feathers.
When he does grow spurs it's a good idea to gently file the points round, at least until he gets the hang of the mating business. An ordinary nail file will do. Just blunt the tips, nothing more. If you start while he's young he'll be used to it by the time he grows up. You can do it on the roost bar at night if he's not used to being handled.

Back
Top Bottom