New Roo .........what is he?

Quote:
Can't be too hard....you bought him right?
lau.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist. Do you have some hens to sell? You can throw him in as a feebie!! you know there are a lot of people who still raise those little guys...even here I see separate little blue huts for each bird on a farm going into town. He must have 75 of those little houses for those little cocks.

Last edited:
This looks like an Oegb Wheaton. Its colors are kind of bad but its hard to tell until he gets all his adult colors in (or he could be moulting). They look near the same as dutch but the dutch don't have that particular wheaton veriety that I could find to compare. I have oegbs and they look like he does I could not see the earlobes on the picture have but they looked red which the dutch have white earlobes.

I would say he is a Oegb. If that little girl in the back ground was purchased with him then he is more than likely a Wheaton.

Arklady

That little rooster is protecting his flock. He will attack anything that comes near his beauties. Be thankful he isn't a standard roo. But also, if anything gets near him he will attack it to 'drive' it away. So his girls are safe. Its a built in thing for birds.

Also, if you act like a hen to him being submissive when he comes near you he will consider you one of his flock. If you don't like that be the top rooster. Its the only way.

Another thing, use a net when captureing him and keep those spurs cut down. Be sure to have a blood clotting agent around, as sometimes they can bleed a lot after cutting the spurs down.

Those little guys will die for their girls... Obviously he is taking his job seriously.

Arklady :)

Well.this liltte mister roo is certainly mean to the bone....he was given to me in exchange for a swingset
gig.gif
and has no hens of his own as of yet, the little girl you see in background is one of Haleyluna's birds I am babysitting. I tried keeping meanieroo in with them because they are kept seperate from all my other hens and roo....but he seemed to big and I was worried about him hurting them,so now he is freerange all the time........roosts on top of the coop........attacks at will......... I am posting and ad for him this morning on Craigslist..... wish me luck........

Okie-if someone responds...no, when someone responds to your ad, are you able to catch him? will attack when someone comes into your yard? Now this is something we want to follow here. He is an interesting bird now isn't he?
smile.png

Quote:
We had a RIR roo when I was little and he attacked me and put his spurs into my shin about 3/4 inch. We had Big Red for dinner that night. It is not a terrible thing to have to put an end to a badly behaving chicken. That is probably what will ultimately happen to him anyway, and I would feel like I was just passing my problem on to someone else..... hope I'm not being too out of line.... just cook him really, really good!

Update on the meanie roo.......... found a home...... a nice gentleman just north of me is just building a coop on 10 acres........started with my roo
big_smile.png
He took him home the other day and says he is nice
ep.gif
WELL>... guess it was me
gig.gif
he came to pick him up while I had been chasin this meanie for about 1/2 hour............wondering who was more afraid of whom .......well....the man.just slowly walks up to the roo.who had decided to lay down in some brush........ picked him up by the feet, NO problem ......so off he went..........now this ad below on Craigslist is the new owner looking for a girlfriend for meanie.......thought the ad was so creative and cute .....so I am sharin it......sounds like meanie roo is in good hands doesnt it ?
big_smile.png

One lonely rooster looking for my special hen. I'm 4 month old, with red neck feathers blending across my back to a solid black tail. Others consider me attractive. You may too. Are you experiencing overcrowding in your coop. My coop is new, spacious and empty. I roam freely over 7 fenced acres. Chicks, single and divorced only, no married hens.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom