New Roo

jofos

Chirping
13 Years
Nov 7, 2008
I was recently give some more chickens. Seven hens and a rooster. I already have 16 hens and a rooster. Will it be a problem with more than one rooster. Both roosters are about 5 months old.

Possibly...try and see. Id stay with them and let them do their challenge thing for head roo. If the initial confrontation doesnt get out of hand, it might be fine. Be ready to break it up if the fight continues for too long or blood is shed.

Are you going to be able to quarantine the new chickens? If so, it would be nice if the "old" set of chickens could see the "new" set for a few wks while the new ones are in quarantine. That way they are at least familiar with the new ones. I've read it's better to put the new ones in the coop at night too. The old & new hens will create quite a racket establishing the new pecking order as will the roos. Good luck!
smile.png

I agree with the other posts. If you can, quarantine the new chickens in a way where they can see each other. You can have a common fence between them for about a month. When you do put them together watch them at first and they will establish a new pecking order and see how the Roo's do. Usually one will become dominant and the other the subordinate one.

A "common" fence seperating the two flocks is in no way a quarantine. With that scenerio, you'd just as well have them sharing the same run/coop.

As much distance between during the quarantine is best. The farther the better.
After the 3 or 4 week quanantine and you're comfortable that no illnesses have been observed, then you could proceed with the "common" fence between them for a week or so. Again, more time is better. This will help lessen the time needed to establish the new pecking order.

Enjoy the chickens..AND the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom