New Roos for the Stew Pot

Hmmmm...didn't know Roos were layers.

Send them to freezer camp when they are big enough to suite your needs. Freezer camp roos are feed burners. At 8 weeks most layer breed roos won't be very big.

Most dual purpose are ready around 18-20 weeeks. It just depends on how long you want to feed them and put up with them.

"Hmmmm...didn't know Roos were layers."
LOL!
I think of my birds as either layers or meat birds. The roosters are from eggs hatched from my layers ( I have a layer roo- i.e. a large Production Red rooster for my layers) and a meat roo (i.e. a Ranger rooster for the meat hens). So I didn't mean the roosters would lay- I just meant they were extra roosters from my layer flock and not my meat flock. Since I am culling roosters that are NOT meat birds but from layer stock my question was: when should I butcher these guys since they don't develop as fast as meat birds?
Anyways- Thanks donrae for the answer. Really, 18 weeks is too long to feed them- I think I'll just butcher at 12 weeks and not have a lot of meat.

I am interested in this as well .. I have purchased some breeds that are known to go broody and I want to let nature take its course and eat the roos ..... so I am interested in the responses of those who do this ... thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom