New Rooster Frequency?

redoak

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Russia, NY
How often should someone get a new rooster for breeding hens? As soon as his offspring grow up and become breeding age? Also if you get a new rooster should you order from a different hatchery then the ones your hens came from? Thanks in advance for any answers/advice.

Roosters are fertile a long time. If you get a new one he will have to be integrated into the flock with a 4 - 6 week quarrentine away from your hens, then a week or two penned where they can see him and get used to him before putting him in with the flock. After that it will take a while before the hens will let him mate -if they let him at all. Hens will not automatically let a rooster mate.

What makes you think you need a new rooster?

I don't really think you need to change roos out as long as your roo is healthy. I had a roo spin off spring chicks till he was about 7 years old... probably could have gone longer but he passed over a harsh winter.

Main concern was rooster mating with his offspring and any if any genetic defects that may occur with inbreeding several generations of chickens.

Linebreeding is an acceptable form of breeding in chickens. It's better than brother-sister, even though even that can be done for a bit, supposedly before you need new blood. I'd think you'd be fine for quite a while with him mating daughters and granddaughters, etc. You could always bring in a second rooster and keep him in a separate bachelors quarters and rotate them with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom