New Rooster, How long before I can free range him

sgoff

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Ruston, Louisiana
My new rooster has been here for 2 weeks. My 6 pullets are not yet "mature" if you know what I mean. The Roo is several years old, got him from a guy who lost 1/2 his flock to a raccoon attack and ended up with too many roos. Anyway, how long before he is imprinted on the coop so allow him out in the yard to free range with the girls. My girls go out to free range for several hours every evening, but I have not been letting the Roo out as he tried to run away the first day and we had to go round him up (which was not fun...).. is two weeks enough or do I wait? I really don't want him leading my little girls astray. we live in the middle of the woods and it will be very very hard to round them all up if they decide to go on a field trip. Right now the girls stay in the yard just fine.

I have let new birds out the next day. They always come back in with the rest of the flock. I would think 2 weeks is plenty of time. In reality, you won't know until you try it again.

I have a flock 1/2 are half grown and 1/2 2yrs. I got two roos last Sunday and kept them locked in the run/coop throught the week. The very fisrt night they did not follow the hens inside, but the next night they had no issues. When I let eveyone free range on Saturday the boys stayed in the yard and came back at night.
Two weeks should be more than enough time, but Sawfish is right--you can't know for sure until you try it.

Thanks for the replies. I will try it one night this week when I can take off early. If he takes off into the woods, it will take me forever to get him back.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom