New rooster - tips?

What was the predator you had? When did the predation happen? What does it mean to free range with pictures.

I do love having a good rooster, not all are good. But there is a limit as to what they can and will do.

Mrs k

What was the predator you had? When did the predation happen? What does it mean to free range with pictures.

I do love having a good rooster, not all are good. But there is a limit as to what they can and will do.

Mrs k
I don’t know. My guess is a raccoon. The first one we lost was outside, I think, and nothing was left but the head and feet. The other two were in the coop and it was at night, but we’ve since covered the top holes it must have come in through (which is really rather impressive). There was no digging and no messed up fishing line on top so whatever it was climbed up the fence and over.

This isn’t the best picture, but you can get the idea. The coop has better ventilation, nesting boxes, etc now but you can see the run area.

Attachments

• 70351388698__36AB02FD-82D0-4BFF-A426-800AE5C2D135.jpeg
    70351388698__36AB02FD-82D0-4BFF-A426-800AE5C2D135.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 4
Better cover your entire run with fine meshed netting (fishery equipment) and invest in two, or even better three strands of hot wire all around your coop and run to keep predators out.

Whenever aquiring new chicken, make sure to quarantine and treat for internal and external parasites prior to bringing the bird(s) anywhere near your established flock.

Coons have been my nemesis. If you get a horrible attack at night, where birds are torn apart - those are coons. You need to trap the coons. Once they find you, they will be back. Once I got a note: "please leave BBQ sauce, we are getting tired of them plain." jk

They can crawl up anything, are incredibly smart, can figure out simple latches, and can go through chicken wire like nothing. If you cannot build a Fort Knox run, then you HAVE to lock up the coop every single night. I tried the automatic doors - what a wreck that was, as in the coons got in, and could NOT get out. Nothing was left alive.

Ventilation is incredibly important in a chicken coop, but that is also the weakness of the coop. If there is an opening, a coon will be testing it out. Over and over again.

Not all roosters are great roosters. If you have a great rooster - I have found that they do help against day time predation. However, they are no defense against coyotes. Coyotes are just bigger, and in the spring are teaching pups, and working together. Roosters are also no defense against coons in the dark. Chickens are rather comatose when sleeping.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom