New rooster - tips?

Mom2LotsOBoys

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Shenandoah Valley
Hi all! We are acquiring a rooster from an acquaintance probably tomorrow, after a run of predator problems leaving me in need of both protection for my remaining hens and more chickens. My girls are all between about 16 and 18 weeks although not laying quite yet.

Anything I should know? Can I just put him in, or does he need to spend a few days locked in the coop? I know quarantine would be ideal but it isn’t feasible at the moment so…fingers crossed all’s well. Anything else in particular to be aware of?

Thanks!

I think she said he’s about a year and a half old?

And yes, I can put a wire crate in the coop if need be. How long would it be needed on average?

I'm not sure. A mature rooster with mature hens is supposed to be the easiest integration, but with a mature rooster and girls who aren't *quite* laying yet you might want to keep him separate until they start laying.

Do you have space in the run to give him his own section for a couple weeks?

Mini-Coop or Integration Pen From a Large Dog Crate

The friend I’m going to has a bunch of roosters she’s trying to offload, so if I have a choice is there a particular age/size/whatever to try for?
What breed is the rooster and what age are your pullets? I'd agree that if there aren't any mature birds in the coop, keep him separated until your pullets start laying
my pullets range from 14-18 weeks old, with the majority in the middle there. I don’t know the roo’s age, just that they’re all laying breeds.
I'm not sure. A mature rooster with mature hens is supposed to be the easiest integration, but with a mature rooster and girls who aren't *quite* laying yet you might want to keep him separate until they start laying.

Do you have space in the run to give him his own section for a couple weeks?

Mini-Coop or Integration Pen From a Large Dog Crate
I could in theory keep him in the dog crate, but I don’t have a good way to separate him well in the run. However, the run is quite large (~600sqft) and has a good deal of cover and such if that helps at all. The run is not predator proof enough for nights.

Last edited:
Ask who has him to keep him a couple more weeks.

If you get your druthers:
  • As close to a year as you can get
  • He should notice you as you approach the coup - before any of the hens notice
  • He should calmly move away from you, encouraging his girls to do the same
He should NOT:
  • Approach you in a friendly manner-people see this as friendly, but it means he already lacks respect and is too confident in you space
  • Fly up on something to make him taller than you
  • Fluff up and beat his wings
  • Crow excessively
  • Give you the stink eye
  • Sneak around behind you
Do not get him if you cannot dispatch him. No matter what people do, some roosters do not work out. Do not get him if you have children under the age of 6. They tend to attack kids first. Inexperienced people often times don’t pick up on the aggressive signals until after the attack.

Know that if you run is not tight there is nothing a rooster can do.

Mrs K

Hi all! We are acquiring a rooster from an acquaintance probably tomorrow, after a run of predator problems leaving me in need of both protection for my remaining hens and more chickens. My girls are all between about 16 and 18 weeks although not laying quite yet.

Anything I should know? Can I just put him in, or does he need to spend a few days locked in the coop? I know quarantine would be ideal but it isn’t feasible at the moment so…fingers crossed all’s well. Anything else in particular to be aware of?

Thanks!
Getting a rooster in the expectaion that he is going to protect the hens is bound to lead to disappontment and probably a dead rooster.

Crossing youur fingers rather than arranging proper quarantine is a recipe for a health disaster.

Getting a rooster (a male over one year old) for pullets that don't lay eggs yet isn't a good idea.

If you keep your chickens contained and have other family members participating in their care, particulalry children, then getting a rooster at all probably isn't a good idea.

The friend I’m going to has a bunch of roosters she’s trying to offload, so if I have a choice is there a particular age/size/whatever to try for?

OK, as much as you might like to get your male right now, I have a better idea -- especially if these are your first chickens.

Keep a female only flock at least until they've been laying for a while so as to get the hormones under control. If they're your first chickens, try hens only for a year so that you get used to managing birds without the complication of dealing with males.

There will be no shortage of roosters when the time comes.

You could get a mature flockmaster -- like my Rameses -- who is being sold because the breeder needs to move on to meet breeding goals.

You could get the *not quite* rooster -- like my Rameses II and Khafre -- who were in contention for replacement but lost out to slightly-better brothers.

You could get a youngster (perhaps along with some young pullets), and let your hens teach him chicken manners as he grows up.

All ways can work. All ways can fail.

There are no guarantees with roosters.

@3KillerBs @Shadrach @Mrs. K

Now I’m second guessing because I don’t want to make life miserable for anyone…we shored up the coop so it’s as predator proof as humanly possible. The run is dig proof and has 4’ 1/2” hardware cloth all around, but is open above that except for fishing wire to keep hawks out. I mostly was thinking that a rooster might be just enough deterrent to keep the nasties away during the day, in case they got brave now that they’ve discovered what’s available. Is that not reasonable? Bc if not, he can go be stew for his current owner…

Also, the sisters of my oldest girl are laying so she should start any day now.

Back
Top Bottom