New rooster

MegUrk

Songster
6 Years
Apr 16, 2015
We recently adopted a friend's rooster, who was hatched at her grandsons preschool and she had taken home because was going to be culled. They informed us that he was very friendly and was being bullied by their bossy hens. Having had a very friendly rooster (and one more aggressive) in the past, we decided to take him in.

We quarantine him for the safety of our lock, as well as his own, for 10 days. During that time, however, things didn't go as planned. We discovered a hive of bumblebees living near his quarantine area, and in the process of their removal (by professionals) and subsequent straggler bees looking for the brood, he and I both got stung.

We also learned he is right around 6 months old.

He has become rather aggressive and bit me hard enough to draw blood during his last day in quarantine. He has since been placed in a coop that shares a wall with our main run, so that he can get to know our 3 hens without direct physical contact. (Our oldest hen has done a good job taking over roostering duties in recent years)

We have a 4-year-old son who recently began helping feed the chickens, but I'll be reluctant to have him out there with an aggressive rooster in the flock.

I've been reading about ways to train roosters to be less aggressive, and to be honest, I don't need a friendly pet like our sweet roo in my profile photo, but I didn't think we were signing up for a nasty, battle-ready gentleman.

That was all just for background info. What I'm really looking for is advice on how to introduce him to our girls in a way that puts him in a lower power position. I was considering holding him under my arm and holding his feet (wearing gloves) and letting the girls come out to meet him while I hold him and kneel down to their level.

Our friend has also said she would take him back if things don't work out, but I wanted to at least give him a fair chance.

Do you have any advice that differs from my current plan? I'm willing to do some casual training, but I don't have the fortitude or attention to devote to a major rehab project at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210718_090826.jpg
    20210718_090826.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
In my opinion, you have already given him a fair chance by bringing him home, and he has responded by showing aggression. I have young kids too, and I have a "first strike, you're out" policy, because I can't afford my kids to get attacked.

Back
Top Bottom