New rooster

Cupcake1243

Songster
Jul 20, 2020
England
Hi all! Sorry it’s been so long, I’ve been dealing with a lot lately but I’m back!! I unfortunately got rid of my previous flock due to me not having time to care for them properly so gave them to a home that would look after them more. Now, a few months ago I introduced a flock I was getting for my mums friend who all turned out to be males… due to her already having 2 females, it just isn’t working out so she wants us to have one cockerel and we agreed but I have a few questions to ask…
1) How should I manage him as he would be on his own
2) What size pen would he need for just 1 ( btw he will be coming inside fairly often just not in the day as I’m at school
3) Pretty dumb question but what should I feed him? Just normal flock raiser as I’ve only ever had hens in the past :oops:
And pretty much any advice you guys have on raising roosters!!

P.s- I cannot get any more chickens to join him just yet but maybe in the new year?
Thanks!
A x

Hi all! Sorry it’s been so long, I’ve been dealing with a lot lately but I’m back!! I unfortunately got rid of my previous flock due to me not having time to care for them properly so gave them to a home that would look after them more. Now, a few months ago I introduced a flock I was getting for my mums friend who all turned out to be males… due to her already having 2 females, it just isn’t working out so she wants us to have one cockerel and we agreed but I have a few questions to ask…
1) How should I manage him as he would be on his own
2) What size pen would he need for just 1 ( btw he will be coming inside fairly often just not in the day as I’m at school
3) Pretty dumb question but what should I feed him? Just normal flock raiser as I’ve only ever had hens in the past :oops:
And pretty much any advice you guys have on raising roosters!!

P.s- I cannot get any more chickens to join him just yet but maybe in the new year?
Thanks!
A x
I don't think you should take him if he can't be with at least one more chicken. It's not fair to him. Chickens are flock creatures. He should either be rehomed into a flock of you should take him and one pullet.

I don't think you should take him if he can't be with at least one more chicken. It's not fair to him. Chickens are flock creatures. He should either be rehomed into a flock of you should take him and one pullet.
Yeah, they can't be alone, you need to get him a friend.
I have to agree with Dobie. It's really not fair to a flock animal to keep it alone.
I can’t get another chicken to keep him company for a few months and it’s either this or he gets culled..

I can’t get another chicken to keep him company for a few months and it’s either this or he gets culled..
Why can't you get a second chicken? It's just one chicken. It would mean the difference between a very lonely, unhappy bird vs one that has a chance to live a normal life. If you can house a single cockerel, you can house a pullet along with him. I'm just not getting what the issue is there.

Back
Top Bottom