new rooster

TroyD

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
I have heard that you should wait till night time to add a new hen to your flock. But what about roosters?? I am getting a rooster today. Can I just add him to my group of girls? The rooster is a silkie. Some of my girls are large birds. I am little scared they may pick on him. Does that ever happen?? Hope you all have some ideas for me. Thank you.

currently going through that now as a matter of fact. Was given a pair of black/partridge mix silkies (one of each sex) which appeared to be about 4-5 months old.

We added them to the rest of the flock (mixed flock...production reds, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, couple white silkies) a couple weeks after we got them.

Went out around 9:30 p.m, and put them in the coop. Its been 2 weeks since I've done this and they are still getting picked on...a LOT. To the point I seperate them from the rest of the flock during the day. They all free range, but the young silkies are kept to a small pen and the others free range around them.

They are all in the coop at night and seem to be fine...but during the day, ALL the older chickens really peck the new younger one.

Thank you for your input. I just pick up the rooster and he came with a hen too (both buff). They are a little older, about 9 months. It may help that my flock is small (4 hens). I plan to put them in tonight. Fingers crossed.

Whenever adding new birds to an existing flock, it's always a good idea to quarantine them for a period of at least 4 weeks (I like to quarantine for 6 weeks). There are some heartbreaking stories on this forum of folks that didn't quarantine prior to exposing new birds to their existing flocks only to have their whole flock then come down with a disease brought in with the new birds.

It's a good idea to hold them in seperate areas if you can. I've done both. They have a pecking order they will get things settled. Some breeds are more gentle and will naturally be at the bottom of that order. Just watch them and look for signs of being pecked at. I've also used blinders with some more agressive brids and it does work. It looks funny but it works.

Actually small flocks tend to have the most difficult dynamics. It is good they are a little older as Silkies tend to be lower in the pecking order as they tend not to see as well and are a bit different looking. What breed are your other hens? I find production hens with single combs more aggressive (not all!) and especially pecky near the start of egg laying. It is good he came with a hen. Also, I find newbies either get chased away from the watering station or feeder or they guard them. I usually add yogurt containers of food and water stapled to the wall on the other side until I am sure everyone is getting along.

Thank you all for the ideas, I really like the two food dishes. I will do that for sure. I just put them in a few min. ago (11:00 pm). I wish i could sit out there a make sure they are ok. I will see them in the morning. Hope their new big sisters are nice to them.
Smoochie; I have 1 black sexlink, 1 black astralorp and 2 white baredrocks.

It did not go too bad. The two new silkies looked happy but keep to their self in the coop. My other chickens spent most of the day in the yard. I did see one of my hens peck at the silkie rooster once. He was also bleeding a little from a spot on his head. I put Vicks on his head and hope that stops any pecking. Tomorrow i will get them all in the yard to see how they act together. That will help me see if they are picking on him too much.

I had our silkies seperated from the main flock of Houdans for a while, mainly because they were "too cute to spend all day outside." according to popular opinion. hehe
When the time came for me to push the issue and insist they get intergrated to the flock it went pretty darn smooth.
In fact it went exactly opposite from what I expected.

We have 5 silkies, 2 roos and three hens. I thought the roos would get spunky and try to be dominant or the two houdan roos would just attack them.
Neither happend.
What did happen was the silkie girls took over everything. They claimed the main food trough, the nearby waterers, and when too many houdan girls came and put up a good fight the boys finally stepped up the plate. Rather nervously I might add.

Before this the oldest hen was a terror outside. No one could sleep, eat, or get water without written permission and a tribute dance.
I really thought she was a rooster, and still do even after she laid an egg.

Our two girls, little silkie girls, are the major players outside. Its quite funny to see.
You never really know what will happen with chickens.

The 4 silkies that run the show usually (who knows what next month will bring)

Always quarentine, then use the time to get to know more about your chicken and introduce accordinly.
Good luck~

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom