New shavings from TSC

underground chickenman

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Anybody try the new shavings they have at TSC? I don't know if they are the same everywhere, but the Orlando TSC switched pine shavings and they smell really, really strong. They're called Big Baldies' Fine Pine Shavings. I am concerned about cedar. I can't say they smell like cedar for sure, or that they don't. They just have a really strong pine, turpentine (maybe?) smell. Anybody else? I am concerned about putting my new chicks on them.

Thanks,

UGCM

About a year and a half ago I quit purchasing pine shavings from TSC for that exact same reason. The smell you are probably getting is from fresh/green pine that wasn't kiln dried. I suppose that would be fine to use in a horse stable, but I think (my opinion only) it is to strong for chickens. Number one, they are in an enclosed area and number two, the are much closer to the ground than horses are.

Do you happen to have any DE on hand? If so, I would spread a liberal amount over the shavings and gently stir them up. It will help to soak up the extra moisture in the shavings.

Go on Craigslist and type in:

shavings

you will be surprised...I found some in my area, infact just 15mins away from me, its a lumbar company and they just pack them in 50lbs bags and sell them for 3.50!!!!

Could I convince you to try pine pellets instead? They are baked into the pellet shape I think, so you don't get the problem of the pine sap smell. They are sold for horse stalls also at TSC/wherever and I find them much better than shavings. They are more absorbant in my opinion, and after they get wet they fluff up and then dry back out so they don't remain wet.

For a while my TSC was out of horse pellets so I got wood stove pellets instead and they also worked fine (they were actually about 60 cents/bag cheaper)

I tried them based on a BYC'er's suggestion and I love em, so you might wanna give it a try. Nothin to lose, right?
wink.png

I have noticed that the pine shaving from TSC are more dusty then the pine shaving I get from any other place. I actually really like the ones I get from Miejer (a chain grocery store in Midwest), the shaving a nice a big and not so dusty (plus they are cheaper then TSC and any petstore that I checked out)

Last edited:
Quote:
Does the shape encourage birds to eat them more? I've seen those before, but never purchased because it looks too much like food to me, so I'm picturing birds with impacted crops.
hmm.png

The pellets I buy are way bigger than pelleted food. I've used them in the coop the last two winters and used them to brood bantams last summer & they worked real well. Less smell and needed to be changed out way less.

clap.gif
Great idea I have been using shavings for quite
a while from Tsc, Iam going to try the pellets instead.
anything to save here and there, TSC has upped their price
on the shavings, by a 1.00..
If the pellets last longer all the better.
thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom