New Silkie and Frizzle Dutch Bantam Projects... Vote on Project #3!

Tigress

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
I have this cat breeding computer game, and that is what got me into genetics and crossbreeding. I know it sounds stupid, but it is pretty fun. It teaches you to set a goal and cull heavily based on what you want this new breed to look like. My goal was: Calico pattern, long hair, lynx-type ears with Serval-type tail and legs. I reached that goal by crossing Serval cats to Bengal Cats and then the crosses with Calico Maine Coon cats and culled heavily until I got the look I desired. Now I have three different patterns (dilute, normal, and almost a leopard-pattern) of calico on that new breed of cat and all breed true.
big_smile.png

Anyways, I am going to get some Dutch Bantams and start a few little projects. I am still a newbie, so I'd like your opinions and suggestions since I still have a great deal to learn about chicken genetics. Here's what I have in mind:

#1. Silkie Dutch
Body/Comb/Colors of a dutch, only silkie feathering.
Start with solid colored Blue, Black or Lavender Dutch and Silkies. Work on body type first, then feathering and color, then combs and get most or all to breed true.

#2. Frizzle Dutch
Pretty much the same as Project #1, only substitute Frizzle feathers for silkie feathering. I may try for multicolored feathers aside from solid colors.

#3. You pick! What would you like to see involving the Dutch Bantam?
Suggested Crosses:
None yet.

I know these projects will be difficult and could take YEARS to develop, but they will be worth it.

Quote:
I agree - while they might be harder to come by the silkie japs and seramas would help keep type and other aspects of the dutch more true - without having to do all the extreme work it will be to breed out the silkie coloring and comb later.

Back
Top Bottom