New species

Josh Mack

Chirping
Aug 18, 2018
Hi all
I’m just posting this because I’m looking to add some new birds to my flocks I have a large fowl chicken and bantam flock kept separately but I want to add some variety I have loads of space and want to have more interest in the flocks does anyone have any suggestions of what types of birds I could take a look at (don’t have to be chickens can be other types of poultry or waterfowl)
Regards josh

Thanks I will consider ducks definitely I have been for a while do you have any breed in particular in mind
If you're wanting layer ducks, then maybe a layer variety, or if they're for looks, Welsh Harlequins, Domestic Mallards, and Cayugas (which lay grey to black eggs) would be good. (Or Call ducks. They're adorable, look 'em up.)

If you're wanting layer ducks, then maybe a layer variety, or if they're for looks, Welsh Harlequins, Domestic Mallards, and Cayugas (which lay grey to black eggs) would be good. (Or Call ducks. They're adorable, look 'em up.)
Yea I was going to get calls a few years ago but I was put off by my friend who said that they can be tricky to keep and they don’t go broody often I’m looking for a bird that will lay and hatch eggs preferably and that’s in all types of poultry not just ducks

Yea I was going to get calls a few years ago but I was put off by my friend who said that they can be tricky to keep and they don’t go broody often I’m looking for a bird that will lay and hatch eggs preferably and that’s in all types of poultry not just ducks
I've had 2 ducks (one of which is a Pekin and the other who knows what, probably a Swedish), which have both gone broody. The Pekin showed signs and the other went broody for a LONG time. If you let the eggs gather up in a dark nesting sight (I used a dog Igloo that worked perfectly), they'd probably go broody eventually.

Back
Top Bottom