New the Chicken scene here in FL

HighlandRogue

Chirping
Aug 5, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? This is my first time raising chickens. I remember having chickens when I was younger but they were my mother's project. She had a large flocks of RI Reds. (I remember the rooster was quite mean).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 8 hens and 1 rooster. I don't know if that's a good or bad ratio but I'm hoping they all do well and I end up with some hatched chicks of my own down the road.

(3) What breeds do you have? I just purchased my first chicken breed. Brown Leghorns! I thought the hens were attractive and the Rooster quite handsome. I also read they were good layers.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I'm hoping to have the supplement of quality eggs but also to raise up a larger flock on my own. Eventually I would like to have a few uncommon breeds around.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Everything outdoors including fishing and boating. I love farming and gardens and being self sufficient.

Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I was googling questions and found BYC and immediately joined up.

Congrats on your flock and the likelihood of having many more birds!

Your wish for some "uncommon" breeds reminds me of my first chicken-buying venture. I bought three brown-egg-laying hens - exactly the number I wanted -- from a 4H-er. Then, I spotted a Sicilian Buttercup and ended up with four hens. Now, Buttercups don't lay brown eggs, and I didn't need a fourth chicken. But, Mia was beautiful and launched my urge to get chickens that don't show up in everyone's flock --but maybe should!

Welcome to BYC; keep us posted on your chicken journey!

Back
Top Bottom