new therm installation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by milliefleur, Mar 15, 2013.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i got a proportional electronic therm that i am putting into a 1270 GQF cabinet incubator. i have averything else figured out but how to hook up my back up wafer therm. since i have a digital therm do i need the back up therm? not really shore what to do. i email incubator warehouse and asked i haven't heard from them and i emailed them tuesday. any but install one in there gqf incubator or any incubator that could give me a hand?

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Back up thermostats are installed as a safety which sill shut off the heat if it gets above a set point. It will still control the heat but at a higher set point than the primary thermostat. It basically keep the eggs from cooking & killing the chicks. If your POSITIVELY sure the primary thermostat is accurate & functioning you don't need the back up.

3. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i understand what the back up therm does, and that is why i would like to keep using it. i need to know how to wire it into my new therm. it says nothing about wiring in a back up therm. thanks you for your reply

4. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    The GQF instructions sort of tell you to get rid of the backup and trust the electronic thermostat, but back when the 1500 series first came out they kept the wafer there wired in an either/or configuration. If the electronic failed you could unplug it and plug in the wafer, That isn't really a back up system it was just something to keep you going.

I honestly don't know if the electronic unit can fail to shut off and allow the temp to run wild, but if it can then a backup wafer would be a good idea.

Since you want the back up, and I don't blame you, Here's what you can do. All the thermostat needs to do is interrupt the wire going to the heating element. In the interest of avoiding the three wires of the electronic thermostat, I would locate the wire coming through the back wall going directly to the heat coil. With the unit unplugged cut this wire and wire your backup wafer thermostat in there.
    You will need to turn the electronic thermostat up to about 102 temporarily so you can dial in the wafer at 101 or your chosen setting. Then readjust your electronic unit and you should be good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by