1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to all of this

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmayz13, Mar 11, 2012.

1. kmayz13

kmayz13 New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Hello,
    I am new hear and new to the idea of raising chickens. My husband and I will be moving to WI on a small farm this summer and he really wants to get chickens. I have been looking at different breeds and for the cold winters there and what we want we are looking at the Silkie Bantam and the Sussex, will these do ok together? Thanks for your help and any info![​IMG]

2. Lapaysannefarm

Lapaysannefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    Hi! I mix my bantams and standered size chickens together, most of the time they're okay. Usually if something happens it's usually the roosters getting involved.

3. primalchick

primalchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure about the Sussex, but my aunt has Silkies and they do ok up here in winter :) She heats their coops though. I have been told that bigger chickens with smaller combs do the best in cold weather (we are in Canada). I got Wyandottes partially for this reason, and I know a lot of people who have Orpingtons and say they handle cold weather quite well. The breeder I got my chicks from also raises Chanteclers which is a breed developed up here in Canada (Quebec) to be suited for cold weather. They have really small combs and wattles so they won't freeze.

4. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    I have Speckled Sussex here in Indiana. They did fine this winter but I heated their coop when it dipped below freezing. They have single combs so you have to watch for frost bite of their combs. As far as temperment they are very friendly and get along well with other birds. I think they would do fine mixed with silkies who tend to be even more docile. Wyandottes have rose combs that are better suited for colder temps. I had Silver Laced Wyandottes and they tended to bully my Sussex so I'm not sure how they would do mixed with Silkies.

5. Oregonsilkie

Oregonsilkie New Egg

Mar 10, 2012
    SW Missouri for now
    I have two Silkies. I just had to say, I LOVE my Silkies! They are incredibly sweet and mild mannered. One of the two is a Rooster and he is just as sweet as can be. They really enjoying 'snuggling' at night under each others fluffy feathers (so do my other chickens lol). I imagine they would do well in cold climates. I also have a Cochin Bantam. I think they are supposed to do well in cold climates too. The only problem I would see with the Cochin breed is they have taller combs that could freeze. The little Cochin gets along great with the Silkies and my Americaunas, and is very sweet too. And she eats everything. No bug stands a chance with her around!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by