New to all this...but they are hatching!!

nana chicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
Sabine Parish
I put a dozen eggs in a hovabator still air incubator on the evening of March 7th. I attempted to candle at 8 days and could not really tell what I was looking at (newbie here). Then I candled at 15 days. Five of the brown eggs showed very active chicks inside. The green eggs though, I could not really see through the shell, solid black except for the air sac end. Three of the eggs were totally clear so I knew those were bad. I felt like the blackness inside was a chick and so I left the eggs.

This morning, exactly on the 21st day, I heard peeping when I went to the kitchen and sure enough, one chick had completely hatched and 2 more had cracked the shells. I was glad to see that two of the green eggs were hatching because I wasn't sure about them. I can't wait until I get home from work to see how everything is going!

The rooster is a black easter egger. The hens that laid the brown eggs were RIR. Does this mean the pullets (if any) will be olive eggers?

I have 8 babies in the brooder now and one still hatching. I am pleased with the number. 9 out of a dozen doesn't sound like a bad ratio.
This number nine though is taking its sweet time. I am hoping all is well.

Back
Top Bottom