New To Back Yard Chickens

Well....our first week has been successful. One egg on day one, two eggs on day two....I think the hens are happy.

Golden retriever (who is a pheasant hunter, and not to be blamed) and lab took a bit of adjusting before they'd stop rushing the fence and scaring the hens, but everyone is coexisting happily now.

It took a bit of maneuvering and adjusting to get the food and water where the sand, poop and nest box material didn't get in it, but we're getting there.....
You should consider hanging the food and water from the ceiling. That way, the chickens won't be able to perch on top of the feeders, and it will keep the bedding out of the sand and water. You've got plenty of room to hang them. Maybe across from the door that you enter it from? How are you liking the sand? Isn't it easy to keep clean?

Congratulations on your first eggs!!! That is very exciting. I'm glad that the dogs are getting used to the girls!

Last edited:
The sand is definitely the way to go! It is so easy to scoop up daily. Going to explore the potential for hanging food and water this weekend. It's been a fun week!

The sand is definitely the way to go! It is so easy to scoop up daily. Going to explore the potential for hanging food and water this weekend. It's been a fun week!
I bet you've had a fun week. It's so fun being a chicken keeper. Your coop is big enough, that if you become subject to chicken math, you'll be able to add more chickens (although you'd need to make the run larger). I'm so glad you chose sand. I have found that even during the hottest, most humid days, there is absolutely NO smell in my coop. You should consider putting it in your run as well. Especially if your girls are not going to free range. It will be easy to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom