New to backyard chickens, egg laying help

This was them one month ago and now 2 of them have full red combs.
Except for the white on them the first 2 pictures look a lot like mine & they are Bielfielder
This was them one month ago and now 2 of them have full red combs.
hello, I am new two chicken myself! Mine look very similar to yours without any white & with the red combs. They’re now about 5-6 weeks old. They are Bielefelder hens...?

When my girls first started staying outside, I went out each eve and put them in the coop and closed the coop door and locked the run door. In the morning I'd let them out. After 2 or 3 days most would already be in the coop. Still had 1 or 2 I'd have to put in. By weeks end all were going in the coop at night. I continued to close coop door for couple more wks just to confirm to them that's where to stay all night. I also hung small food n water in the coop at that time to, in case they were up before us. By the end of a month I could leave coop door open 24-7, food n water was moved to hang under the coop and we lock the run door every nite. I do have a couple that will watch for me from the coop door. If everyone isn't settled in their spot when I go out, the 2 looking for me will actually jump out of coop n run to me wanting attention n pets. Occasionally this will promt a couple more to come out n see what their missing. Then it's chicken wrangling time trying to get all back in the coop. LOL To promote using the nest boxes mark a couple eggs n leave them in next box for couple days or get ceramic ones to leave in the boxes for a while. I had to put ceramic eggs in all 3 boxes to encourage the use of at least 2 boxes. Everyone wants the same box. We'd have 1 in the box, 1 sqwaking in the coop doorway, and 1 waiting on perch in the run. All fussing over the same box. What 1 has they all want. LOL Now if there's a line they will use 2 and occasionally all 3 boxes. Good luck with your young ones.

Back
Top Bottom