New to BackYard Chickens in Mt Pleasant, SC

lindsayt44

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hi there! I am researching building my own chicken coop and run along with raising just a few chickens in my backyard. I am a vegetarian, so my chickens would be pets and egg layers. What chickens would be best for friendliness and a hot, humid climate? I have about a 1/4 acre for a backyard and would like to use just a part of it for my chickens. I have 1 cat and 2 dogs and would love some helpful tips on introducing them all and keeping the chickens safe from them. I am really excited about starting this new adventure!! My husband is also interested, but is more interested in the cost of this endeavor! lol. Any thoughts or ideas about how much money it costs to build a small chicken coop, run, and just raising chickens in general? I would like to have some sort of plan to show him what we would be getting into! Thanks in advance for any help or tips and also thanks for letting me be a part of BackYard Chickens! :) :)

Lindsay - Mt Pleasant, SC

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hi there! I am researching building my own chicken coop and run along with raising just a few chickens in my backyard. I am a vegetarian, so my chickens would be pets and egg layers. What chickens would be best for friendliness and a hot, humid climate? I have about a 1/4 acre for a backyard and would like to use just a part of it for my chickens. I have 1 cat and 2 dogs and would love some helpful tips on introducing them all and keeping the chickens safe from them. I am really excited about starting this new adventure!! My husband is also interested, but is more interested in the cost of this endeavor! lol. Any thoughts or ideas about how much money it costs to build a small chicken coop, run, and just raising chickens in general? I would like to have some sort of plan to show him what we would be getting into! Thanks in advance for any help or tips and also thanks for letting me be a part of BackYard Chickens! :) :)

Lindsay - Mt Pleasant, SC

I love plymouth rocks - they are super friendly. While they might not lay quite as well as red sex links and other hybrids, they lay longer. Mine only miss about one day per week, and they are almost a year old. They are also beautiful and there are many colors. Check this out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/plymouth-rock/reviews/

You can also look at the reviews of other chickens on here. It's great because everyone puts in their experience and then you get a huge amount of information!

To protect your flock form your dogs and cats keep your hens in a strong coop and run. The run should have a cover to prevent hawks and you pets from killing your birds. If you get a standard size hen, once they are big enough your cats shouldn't be able to harm them. Chickens are very good at protecting themselves, although a dog can easily destroy them. You coop will need to be able to withstand raccoons and foxes also.

As for what breed does best in a hot and humid climate... Silkies are good for that since their feathers don't interlock, but lay small eggs and skip a month of laying eggs every now and then when they go broody (they will go broody over an empty nesting box). On the days that go above 90 F (That is when it gets dangerous for chickens) either bring them inside your house, or maybe put a fan in their coop.

Chickens can cost a bit... The hens aren't expensive, you can get them for $7 full grown at some places, or under $5 as a chick. But the coop... Whew. You could buy wood and make a coop for about $200 (as long as it is small) or you could get a dog house and convert it. Try craigslist for a used coop. Feed at tractor supply cost $15 for 50 pounds, which lasts my 4 laying hens 6 weeks. You can used shreaded paper, or buy wood shavings for the bedding.

Back
Top Bottom