New to backyard chickens.

Jcoopman

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
My chicks are 5 weeks old and growing fast. The Coop and run are almost finished. Waiting on solar timer for door and finishing the run security. My husband has done a great job.. we are in our early 50s and have one 17 year old left at home. We live in East TN and I grew up with free range chickens. We can't do that here.
My question is how many days to leave chicks in coop so they know its home? I will have 4 hens once my Aunt, who has a farm takes the rest of the flock (8). We have 12 Amerucanas right now. She has 29 baby guineas right now and needs to wait 2 more weeks.

Attachments

• 20200603_192808.jpg
    20200603_192808.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi and welcome to BYC. I usually leave my chicks in the coop for 3 days before letting them out - it works for me. Here are some helpful links:

• Great go-to resource - Articles
  • How to start a new thread
  • Find other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).
Best wishes

Pork Pie

My chicks are 5 weeks old and growing fast. The Coop and run are almost finished. Waiting on solar timer for door and finishing the run security. My husband has done a great job.. we are in our early 50s and have one 17 year old left at home. We live in East TN and I grew up with free range chickens. We can't do that here.
My question is how many days to leave chicks in coop so they know its home? I will have 4 hens once my Aunt, who has a farm takes the rest of the flock (8). We have 12 Amerucanas right now. She has 29 baby guineas right now and needs to wait 2 more weeks.
If they cannot get out of the run, you do not have to confine them to the coop. You confine them to their entire setup which is the coop AND run. They are only 5 weeks old.
The reason you confine to the coop for several days is when you free range and they are able to leave the area. When they are confined to their entire living quarters and cannot wander off, that is not necessary. You can work on the run while the chicks are in it as long as they cannot get out. They will have a grand time exploring and scratching around. If you can secure the pop door opening with out the solar door, move them out now. They will be MUCH happier outside.

Back
Top Bottom