New to backyard flocks!

litarutherford

Hatching
May 8, 2015
Hello!

We've had some of our birds for a couple months, but we are definitely newbies. We have 7 chickens and 3 ducks. 2 RIR (we think), 2 Barred rocks, 2 ISA (we were told), and a big fluffy easter egger. For ducks we have an Indian Runner, a Khaki Campbell and some sort of black duck with brown tipped feathers. Based on quack we have two boys and a girl which is not great xp working on that issue. Trying to find another girl, but I worry how noisy they may be. May need to swap her for a boy.

Our birds are pets first, and we're in the process of planning out a 10x25 coop/run combo for them to have when not being watched. Hopefully that will give them plenty of space!

At the moment I'm working on figuring out how to hand tame our newest bird, the EE. She is already laying, we were told she is at least a year or about. Very untrusting and wary of us! I figure I'll need to work slow with her but definitely will be a learning challenge!

We also have (indoors) bunnies, guinea pigs, cats, rats and a dog. My poor dog hates the chickens cause when they have run of the yard she isn't allowed outside! The one thing she isn't scared of is the chickens/ducks. A guinea pig will clearly tear her apart but a chicken must be easy pickins. Xp (She is a 45lb Aussie/Rottie for ref!)

Anyhoo thanks for reading and hopefully I can learn somthing!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck taming your new EE! It can take a while with new birds, depending on the treatment they received before you got the bird as well. Go sit with her quietly. Bring a goodie bag. Food is a wonderful bonding agent for trust. They also remember positive experiences. So make each encounter a quiet fun one and the bird should eventually respond. Talk quietly, move slowly and pack goodies!

Great to have you aboard and we do welcome you to our flock!

Thank you! I dont think she's been in the best. Most of the others the lady had (said they were rescues from an auction) were missing feathers pretty bad. She has some loss on her neck and her tail looks like someone took scissors and just cut the tip off like a buzz cut. But she's already laid twice (only had her four days now) and has established herself as top chicken. (Much to the annoyence of the ducks.)

Back
Top Bottom