New to backyard

Yolkahontis

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Hello everyone,

I wanted to say hi,
I am new to owning chickens never had them ever, this year I was reading up on backyard chickens and thought i can do that. So I got a bunch of free wood starting with 2 6x4 pallets and built myself a coop. It turned out super nice, looks like an old bard with swinging doors and wood flooring. I got it finished just in time. we received our chicks on July 9th 2020 and it has been a blast from that moment on. I got 3 buff Orpington’s and 3 barred rocks. After a ton of reading I felt those were best for my location as well as for free range kids. I have only been at it for a month and I have watched them grow so fast. I am excited every morning to go out and see the changes from the day before. I am getting out of the house every day and walking the yard with them. I did end up with a rooster even though I purchased sexed birds but he is so beautiful and so attentive to the girls I walk outside and he will run right up to me. Not sure if he wants to kill me or just say hi but we talk and he returns to the group. He is always the first there and last to leave. Never thought I would like a rooster but so far he is a great treat to be around.. we have two dogs they are boxers one could care less about the chicken the other one however we can not let near them as she would defiantly grab a quick snack. my partner also enjoys them will not admit it but is always saying hi at the run and makes sure food and water is always full. I do want to free range them but we are doing it in small steps each evening around 4 we go out and about and then in the run at around 6. When I go out to close up the coop they are always inside huddled together on the roost. I know everything I read said not to put them outside until 7 weeks, but they say that because of temp not Because of security. They have been outside since their third week with us and have been just fine. They have a solar powered heating pad but honestly I have not had to use it other than a couple nights it dipped into the 50s.

Back
Top Bottom