New to bantams (have some questions)

chicklady21

Chirping
Mar 30, 2017
I’ve never had any bantam breeds, but have had standard chickens for years. I’m currently cleaning out and disinfecting a coop that I plan to use for some bantams (possibly thinking Seramas). I have a few questions:
1. My coop was originally designed for standard chickens. Will the nest boxes be too big, the roosts too wide and too tall, etc?
2. My coop is 4x6 with a 6x12 run. I don’t want to keep very many in there because I want them to have plenty of room. How many do you think would be best?
3. I would like to have a rooster. With the number deemed suitable above, would I have enough hens for my rooster? I’m willing to not have a rooster if I can’t have enough hens for him, but it would be preferred to have one.
4. Ok, last question lol. Does the care of bantams differ from standard chickens? Is there anything I need to know?

I've had bantams all my life and I find them very similar to standard chickens. I currently have game and bantams and they all have the same pen size and my bantams do just fine with a standard chicken pen. They only thing I would say is to keep the nestbox fairly close to the ground if you like your hens to set other than that just have fun. Also I would suggest having a rooster with about 4 hens. The rooster will do just fine. They have a very interesting crow compared to standard and they do tend to have a stronger immune system. I have old english and I have never dealt with seramas so it may not be the same but good luck bantams can be fun.

You don’t need to make anything smaller.The use the best boxes just fine,as well as the roosts.I keep standards and bantams together and they are no different.Their size seems to get them killed easier by predators.

I have bantams together with standards, and there isn't really anything different you have to do.

Back
Top Bottom