New to Broilers

DuckBoy323

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Arlington Washington
Hey y'all im starting to raise broilers for my first time and i was wondering how much feed i should give em and what time of the days and such? And anything you guys know that I should know about em. Thanks y'all.
thumbsup.gif

I also just bought 15 cornish x from Tractor Supply and they are not quite a week old yet, but are getting close to it and so far, I've had the feed available to them at all times, but I believe after two weeks, I will start doing the 12 hours feed available and 12 hours feed not available thing, so they don't run into health problems and die.

Hope this helps and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Welcome! You'll be amazed at these birds. I just finished with my first group of 300 broilers so I'm not much more experienced than you. Having said that, I learned a lot in a short while and took extensive notes.

Down here (Venezuela) the tradition is to keep the young birds on starter feed until they're 21 - 24 days of age. For my 300 birds, that meant 11 sacks of starter feed each weighing 40 kilos (88 lbs). I gave the birds full ration, meaning they could eat all they wanted. I took them off starter feed at day 22. They also consume huge volumes of water so don't be shy keeping them well-watered.

I kept the birds on commercial feed until day 39 at which point I switched to ground corn mixed with the commercial feed. I've been giving them less and less commercial each day. Between days 23 and 39, they consumed and additional 20 sacks of "finisher" commercial feed for a total of 31 sacks of commercial feed.

On day 37 I sold my first bird at 2.6 kilos (5.72 lbs) and the next day started butchering. I had one bird at 3 kilos (6.6) and I'm sure more that were even heavier. They grow tremendously fast.

I weighed 5 birds every 7 days to monitor growth rates and had no loses until day 21 when they became heat stressed. Hope this info helps.

Back
Top Bottom