New to broody behavior

JesCelina

Chirping
5 Years
May 24, 2015
Fenton Mi
Helloo...I have 2 hens and one is extremely broody and I'm not sure how to care for her. She is an austrthorp 2yrs old. She is laying her eggs daily but refuses to get up. I have to lift her up to grab them...yesterday she didn't come out at all and my other hen (wyondotte) has stopped laying. Do I just leave her alone and not coax her out? How long does this last? Do I continue to take her eggs or should I leave them? At a loss here

I'm assuming that the eggs are fertile? If so and you want her to hatch, then my advice would be to leave her to her own devices. Some members prefer to move a hen off the nest to try and encourage them to feed etc.

When a hen goes broody, she stops laying eggs. If she continued to lay while broody she would use up all her stored energy and waste away physically plus the eggs would not hatch as they were not incubated the proper length of time. That other hen has not stopped laying, she's laying her egg with the broody. If you remove them daily they are still good to use.

What do you want to happen? If you want her to hatch chicks you need to give her fertile eggs. If you decide to do that get back with us so we can help you out with the details. There are lots of different ways to go about that.

If you don't want her to hatch eggs, you should break her from being broody. There are different reasons for that. The way I do it is to put the hen in an elevated wire-bottomed cage with food and water but nothing that she can use as a nest for three full days and nights. Usually that's enough to break them.

Good luck!

When a hen goes broody, she stops laying eggs. If she continued to lay while broody she would use up all her stored energy and waste away physically plus the eggs would not hatch as they were not incubated the proper length of time. That other hen has not stopped laying, she's laying her egg with the broody. If you remove them daily they are still good to use.

What do you want to happen? If you want her to hatch chicks you need to give her fertile eggs. If you decide to do that get back with us so we can help you out with the details. There are lots of different ways to go about that.

If you don't want her to hatch eggs, you should break her from being broody. There are different reasons for that. The way I do it is to put the hen in an elevated wire-bottomed cage with food and water but nothing that she can use as a nest for three full days and nights. Usually that's enough to break them.

Good luck!
Thank you for replying....however, please forgive me as I am more confused. I just have 2 hens that lay eggs. How would she be laying chicks to hatch? Maybe "broody" is the wrong term for her behavior?

Thank you for replying....however, please forgive me as I am more confused. I just have 2 hens that lay eggs. How would she be laying chicks to hatch? Maybe "broody" is the wrong term for her behavior?
A hen will go broody whether you have a rooster or not. But when a hen is broody, she stops laying eggs. If your hen is still laying eggs, something else may be going on. I would suggest you take her off the nest and see how she behaves. If she's lethargic, not wanting to eat or drink, I'd say she may be sick.

Could you please describe her behavior.
She just lays there in her nesting box all day and night. Yesterday she never moved and I didn't bother her except for when I grabbed her egg. She puffs up when I do or even when I open the door. I picked her up this morning and moved her into the run. She's not eating or drinking and is constantly pecking herself. I'm very particular in keeping their home clean and dry.

Have you checked her over real well for mites and/or lice?

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

If you do find some...check out this thread:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray

She just lays there in her nesting box all day and night. Yesterday she never moved and I didn't bother her except for when I grabbed her egg. She puffs up when I do or even when I open the door. I picked her up this morning and moved her into the run. She's not eating or drinking and is constantly pecking herself. I'm very particular in keeping their home clean and dry.
A broody hen will be anxious to get back to her nest if you take her off. Sometimes they will eat or drink first, but for the most part they will frantically head back to the nest.

Have you checked her over real well for mites and/or lice?

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

If you do find some...check out this thread:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1134783/permethrin-spray
Good advice here!

Back
Top Bottom