1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new to byc and chickens period

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kasa, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kasa

kasa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Hi ya'll Karen and Ronnie here from southeast tennessee...we have enjoyed your site...it has been very informative!!! We have been married 2 weeks, and are in the 50ish age range. My husband has raised chickens before but I haven't been around chickens at all. We decided we wanted a backyard flock so we build a brooder out of an old top cabinet and as of this morning we are the proud owners of 12 little doodlers!! we also have made arrangements to obtain around 7 two month old chicks. We are most interested in eggs but are considering raising chickens for meat as well in the future. Of course I have fallen in love with Silkies and are planning of having a couple of those as well. We are converting an old dog lot and putting in the coop in the next couple of weeks.

I have taken all the posts to heart as far as temperature control for the brooder, but after getting mine in there are holding their mouths open at 82 degrees and above and stay out from under the light. I have adjusted the light and most have gravitated back to the light holding the temperature at the bottom of the brooder at 80 degrees. I feel like this is a little to cool but that is what they are acting like they like. ANY info would be appreciated. I do not want to loose chicks from heat stress or from being too cool.

2. andiphant

andiphant Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Congrats on your new family! Best wishes :)

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    As long as you give the chicks the options to be near the heat source and also move away from the heat source they will be just fine. They know what temperature is best for them.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio

8. kasa

kasa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Wow!! thanks for the warm welcome guys! My babies are doing fine...have got the temp where some are under the light some are not and i just let them decide lol....gave them a treat of hard boiled egg mashed in the processor...they were so funny!!! I am already having a blast with them...thanks again for the warm welcome!!

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So happy you joined. Good luck. :thumbsup

10. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by