new to byc and looking to buy some chickens

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Good luck finding some quality chickens!

i have not had too many breeds of chickens but i recommend golden sex links for small size and giant (sometimes double yolk) brown eggs they are good for beginners and they lay early for good color and big friendly birds i would recommend buff orphingtons they have good sized brown eggs. For the prettiest roo in my opinion i would get light brown leghorns ( see chicken breeds forum)

i feel like an idiot, I did not see "bantam" but they may have bantam versions of these breeds. I know that they have a bantam of Light Brown Leghorns and I have 1 full sized roo and he is gorgeous.

I don't know what stores you have in your area (considering I live in Maine) but Tractor Supply had some nice golden sex links this spring (though not bantam) than lay tons of HUGE brown eggs that are occationaly double yolks. I herd that Easter Eggers have pretty colored eggs. If you are looking for a nice egg laying breed than i would go with bantam leghorns. for the prettiest plumage i would go for silkies they are so adorable

i feel like an idiot, I did not see "bantam" but they may have bantam versions of these breeds. I know that they have a bantam of Light Brown Leghorns and I have 1 full sized roo and he is gorgeous.

Golden Sex Links are actually not a breed, but rather one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing and LF red gene rooster with a LF silver gene hen to produce offspring that can be sexed by color at hatching and are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. However, because both parents are LF, Red Sex Links (under any label) do not come in bantam sizes.

Michael OShay would that make them a hybrid

Yes, they are definitely hybrids. I've raised both Red Sex Links (Golden Sex Links) and Black Sex Links for years, and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year, with an occasional one double yolked as you said. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom