New to BYC and to raising chickens

new user

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
Hi everyone,

Name is Brandon, and have always wanted to raise chickens. Now that I finally bought a house, my family and I got to step into the abyss together lol. I finally decided to join after being directed to this site for many questions I had prior to getting my chickens. Plus I am in the process of building a coop and would like to get thoughts and yalls insight on it.

But I have had my chickens now for about a month and a half. I wanted RIR but was either a day late and a dollar short on getting them or they were to far of a drive.

So I got some White Leghorns and some Tractor Supply Bantam specials.. I think to this day I have done decent on raising them but have had a couple causalities. Had a leghorn dies on me the first or second night. Then just last week I didn't cover their water and had one to drown.

But for my lack of experience I am faring well lol.

on to the pics-

Second day being home

and just yesterday

Switched over to the cup and nipple waterer as show below

temp fix so they wont drown

one of the batmans as my wife calls them lol. She is fluffy lol

Sorry you didn't know - for young - chicks especially tiny bantams, chicken folk put clean pebbles or marbles in a shallow water dish. If a chick falls in head first the stones will keep him out of the water. Even if they don't fall -ib very young chicks fall asleep in the middle of eating, drinking, playing and just topple over.

When I tried to click on the links for photos, it says " error, page doesn't exist." Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock. If you have gotten them to use nipple waterers that is a good, safe method and much more sanitary than others. Just have to be sure the smallest birds can reach it, and to keep it filled.

Its all good. This is a new thing so its a learning experience.

Let me try a different way to upload pictures.

Second day home

Day before yesterday

temp fix so they wont drown

Switched over to the cup and nipple waterer as show below

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

So sorry about your loss, a hard lesson to learn. Good luck with your new adventure.

welcome-byc.gif

We're glad you decided to join Backyard Chickens!
frow.gif

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.
yippiechickie.gif

Your chicks are so cute! I enjoyed the photos of them as they grew!

Thanks everyone.

I started on my coop last Saturday and ended up smashing my thumb, so once I get healed up enough to use it again I will continue working on my coop and post it up

Back
Top Bottom