New to BYC.... but not to chickens

What is your absolute favorite reason for keeping chickens?

• Yummy Eggs

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Healthier source of meat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pest control

• Breed conservation

• Show purposes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 4-h projects

• Because they are pretty

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Because they are so darn much fun

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

my94fb

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
yesss.gif

Hi everyone! My hubby and I own a small farm in Southeast Ohio, and have had chickens for a couple of years now before I stumbled upon this site - WOW, the information and support!! So glad I took a few minutes to look around. I am currently the proud owner of two barred rock hens and one rooster, eleven production red hens, and six adorable fluffy-faced EEs (two of which are certainly cockerels based on their ridiculously funny eight-week-old crowing experiments, the other four are still up in the air). The EEs were of course sold to me as Ameraucanas, which I seriously doubted was true based on my research and familiarity with the breed. Although I was slightly disappointed they there weren't true Ameraucanas, they all have such wonderful personalities that I really don't care. I don't keep chickens to tell everyone about the exotic breeds I have (because I don't) but for the joy of it. They are fun to watch, keep pests down, provide delicious eggs that are jam-packed with nutrition compared to their grocery store counterparts, and I must admit I just like them.

I am super-excited to join the BYC community, and look forward to many hours scrolling through the forums and learning and giving my 2 cents if I feel I can contribute. Thanks for the great site!!! Added a poll, just because I am curious to the answer....

wee.gif

Last edited:
Hello and welcome from SW Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Our local feed store had a big bin of "Ameraucana" too. Dont know how I resisted :) Too cute!!!

Check out the "Where am I, Where are You" section at the top. The Ohio thread is quite active.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom