New to BYC & chicken raising

yuckyuck.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hi guys! I joined a long time ago, but have not been active. I recently found a rental house that will let us raise backyard chickens and rabbits. I am ecstatic! It is my understanding that Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rock are the best two breeds to start with in our climate (Colorado Springs) and being new to this. I've never owned a chicken in my life.
Is it possible to get those chicks, two of each, now and raise them inside over the winter? I understand they have to be about 5-6 months before they will start laying. If we raise them inside over winter, we can put them outside in spring. I was thinking of getting two of each. Any recommendations for best places to order chicks from?

Welcome back to BYC. I know some members may not post for awhile but aren't down for the count. Life sometimes gets in the way. Have you considered getting started pullets,rather than chicks, they could go outside now and will be laying soon. Chickens tolerate cold much better than heat. Go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. People in your area will know best what breeds to well in the climate, what type of coop/run you should have and possible have birds available to you now.

Back
Top Bottom