new to BYC...Fair Winds Farm, Ridgeville, SC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katejerdan, Nov 10, 2010.

1. katejerdan

katejerdan New Egg

Jun 8, 2008
    Ridgeville, SC 29472
    Though we are not new to raising chickens, we are new to our farm. We moved our flock of 14 RIR chicks, 6 Australorps, 2 RIR hens and 1 RIR rooster in June. Soon a chicken hawk took off with 4 of the 10-week old chicks and one of the big Australorp hens. That was the kicker...we stopped everything and built new coops...on skids and have not lost any more feathered friends to the hawks. We have bought about 60 additional Americana and Plymouth Barred Rock chicks which are now about 4-6 weeks from laying. I'm selling the cockerels as roasters. I've advertized on localharvest.net and had a few calls. Now that colder weather has set in, subsequent chick additions will have to have a wooden shelter/brooder. Am I remembering correctly that they need 1/2 square foot of floor space for the first 4 weeks? I haven't unpacked all my books and can't find the Storey's Guide book. Thanks, Kate

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    [​IMG], from Arkansas.

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] from WI!

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad to have you. That amount of space won't last them very long though. Just watch for crowding. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by