New to BYC forum

joannee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
I am a newbie to the forum but not for raising chickens. I grew up with my Grandfather's flock and I've had one or two at different times in my life. I always go back to raising chickens, I love them!
I also raise tortoises, my biggest is 100 lb Sulcata and our Ameraucana loves to clean up his face when I hand feed him squash and bananas.

I only have 2 hens, the Ameraucana started laying at the end of August and our Barred Rock hasn't laid as yet. They are the same age and the Barred Rock sits in the nest when the Americana does and also leaves at the same time, but there hasn't been an egg from her yet.

I am wondering how to winterize cages for the winters in the bay area. Most of the articles are for snow areas. Do I need to do anything special? My grandfather never did and either have I in the past years.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I would love to see your hen and the tortoise! Please post a pic for us?
For winter you should be O.K. with a warm, insulated, draft free coop. Here's a good thread to look at also:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392510/first-winter-with-chickens/0_50

Thank you!

My husband is on vacation this week and will be trying to catch the action with the tortoise and the hen on film. When he does, I'll post it!

Back
Top Bottom