New to BYC from Alberta, Canada

Roosterhaven

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Hi there,
I finally decided to join BYC after finding this forum a few dozen times during Google searches.
I was raised on a mixed grain and poultry farm that had 150 laying hens and about 300 meat birds, mainly Cornish Cross, RIR, and California Grey, white version. Guess what my summer job was?
Many years later I have a hobby farm and just got chickens again. I got a box of 20 mixed heritage breeds and have 6 chickens left. What's hysterical is that I have 1 hen out of the lot. The rest are roosters. Good thing I like roosters. I want to post pictures of my birds to help identify the breeds.
I am also setting up my hoophouse greenhouse so that I can move the birds into there for over winter.
I look forward to being part of this community.
Sherri
aka Roosterhaven

Welcome to BYC, Sherri. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

welcome-byc.gif
do you have them all together? One rooster is good for 10+ hens, any less there will be overbreeding and possible injury to the hen.

Thank you! I shall go over to the Canadian thread and introduce myself.
As for breeds, I don't know as I got a box of mixed breed chickens. I did post pictures in the "what breed or gender is this" thread.

Yes these birds are all together and get along well. I will be getting more laying hens shortly to counter that roo/hen ratio. What I have noticed is 2 trios that hang around together and when it comes time for roosting, they are all together.

As for active breeding, haven't seen any yet, courting: yes.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock!

Enjoy all your adventures with them and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom