New to BYC from Southern Colorado

dingaling

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

I've been reading the BYC forums for over a month now and finally decided to join in the fun. There is some really great information here. A big thank you to everyone.

I got 7 baby Chickens at Easter time this year, so I am very new to this. I got 4 more about 2 weeks ago, because the ones I got at Easter were straight run and I'm afraid that all but one are little roos. So I have a total of 11 chicks and last week I picked up 2 ducklings at the feed store.
I have 2 Ameracaunas, 2 Buff Orpingtons, and the other 7 I'm unsure what breeds (I'm hoping for some help on that here). The ducks are Mallards.

I also have 5 goats, a guard llama, a blue heeler dog and 5 cats. I've been married to my husband for 5 years and between us we have 4 kids. I'm also trying to start my first ever vegetable garden.

I am currently working 3 part time jobs, so I am very busy. I'm hoping I haven't taken on too much. We started building our chicken coop last weekend and we are almost done. Tomorrow we will put on the roof and finish up the nesting box, then our chickens will move into their new home. They had spent the last week in the horse stables which are fully enclosed and safe. Then yesterday we let them out into the great outdoors for the first time. At first they were a little scared but eventually explored out pretty far (they are going to be free range). They kept trying to come into the house with us and at one point yesterday, during a break from building the coop, we came in to find a chick on the kitchen counter (one of the kids must have left the door open). It's fun and excitement everyday with these chicks.

Well, I'm happy to be a part of this community and thanks again for all the great information.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom