New to BYC from the Boston area

bruced267

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
peabody
Hi All New to BYC happy to have found you guys!

My family and I are interested in raising some chickens, I think we have narrowed it down to Barred Plymouth rock and New Hampshire red. I was wondering if our choice is good for our area (and 2 neighbors)? Also how they might do with 2 little boys? And when is the best time to get chicks spring, summer, ect. Whats a good # to start out with? And any other advice you could give us! Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
from southern Indiana.

Both breeds would work for you. Maybe you could get a few of each?

Not sure where you are from but you first need to find out if there is any zoning ordinances that would prevent or limit your number of chickens. Now is still fine to get chicks. I won't hatch anything after July since I have to keep mine in a big trough in the garage until they are ready to put out and I think September is getting about as late as I want to stick a 2 month old out in the coop.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh, like you ask a wicked lot of questions! (Hi from Wellfleet!)

1. You picked good hardy breeds. You can't miss with either.
2. Regarding two toddlers, be aware that young chickens peck at EVERYthing because they are learning what's edible and interesting and what's not. Many of us here have gotten our earrings and contact lenses stolen. So once the chicks are past the chick stage, I would advise keeping the boy's face away from the chickens. After several months, chickens won't peck at anything they've learned is not in their "food group".
3. Best time for chicks? For me, it's spring so they have a bit of plump on them before winter. When I started, my chicks arrived in May.
4. The number of chickens depends on your coop size and run size. I have four girls in this coop setup https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593. It could probably comfortably hold six girls, but I didn't want to run any risk of crowding them. Crowded flocks take their anxieties and frustrations out on each other and it's not pretty.
5. Any other advice? Stay with BYC and make friends and ask more questions.

We are glad you joined us.

btw, if you are looking for local birds there are plenty of locals on the boards that sell chicks, started birds or laying birds throughout the year. we also have chicken swaps in NH and parts of MA. the only one i go to each month in MA is over in Townsend which is about an 1 1/2 drive away from Peabody (i have family near both you and that area so i know!
tongue.png
)

i could also recommend some of the more friendlier breeds for kids, like LF or bantam cochins, and the faverolles are nice but hard to find anyone with LF in this area. most of us have bantam favs up here. easter eggers are good too and can give you either green or pinkish brown eggs!

i do agree with Buff Hooligans that you shouldn't let the chicks too close to your face. i wear glasses and the chicks will still like to figure out how to get around them or play with the shinny bits! i would bop them on the beak to let them know not to get too close but it is a high concern to not let them try to go for your eyes or parts of the face.

Back
Top Bottom