New to BYC from the Willamete Valley in Oregon.

mikeandike

Chirping
Mar 15, 2017
Springfield Oregon
I've been lurking here for a few weeks now. I've acquired a flock of my own to have fresh eggs and have been researching things here when I have questions. I'm not emotionally attached to the birds but I take pride in taking care of them. My wife thinks I'm crazy and would probably think I'm even crazier if she knew I made a chicken forum profile.

I had chickens growing up but this is the first time I've had a flock that's entirely my responsibility. I love to eat fresh eggs (at least 3 per day) so I've got to keep the hens happy!

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under mikeandike
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you and your flock all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Lots of fellows here on BYC! And many of them do complain their wives think they are nuts...at first! Just wait though, eventually the wives take over YOUR hobby and claim the birds as theirs!! Ha!

Make yourself at home here. Definitely follow the link to our Learning Center. All kinds of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry.

Welcome to our roost! :)

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

This forum is pretty impressive. I'm used to auto forums (mostly tacomaworld) where most of the members are from the U.S. or Canada. I see members on here from all over the globe.

My username is based on my two roosters. I acquired my mixed flock from a friend rehoming hens, a local organic breeder (sorting out unwanted breeds), and a few other people who were rehoming. I was gifted a kind leghorn rooster named Mike. I had to promise that I wouldn't be eating him for the lady to let me have him. I then got a little bantam rooster as part of a trio in need of rehoming. I thought Mike and Ike was a good pair of names for the pack alpha's. I was surprised at how well Ike stands up to the bigger hens (most are 2-3 times his size). One of the hen's was trying to chase him away from the food and he chased her all around the yard for about 5 minutes. She has no problem sharing anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome. I've got lots to learn and look forward to being part of the BYC community.

Back
Top Bottom