New to byc have a quick gender related question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by phillip0104, Apr 15, 2017.

1. phillip0104

phillip0104 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2017
    Hello my name is Phillips I've been raising chickens for about two years now in Florida. I just recently got some new chick's and was wondering if I got a rooster. Any help would be appreciated.[​IMG]

2. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    :welcome Phillip!
    Your Golden Laced Wyandotte(?) does indeed look suspicious, but it's hen-feathered still, so...
    How old are they? 8 or 9 weeks? Is there any way you could post an entire picture of the Golden's body?
    ~Sarah

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. phillip0104

Apr 15, 2017
    Thank you for the quick reply that's what has me confused. Big and red comb and waddle but rounded feathers and huge legs and the are around 6-7 weeks old
    [​IMG]

5. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] phillip0104!!!

6. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2015
    Lost, I fear.
    I'm going to say almost definitely a cockerel. The massive legs tip it off. He'll get sickle feathers within a couple weeks, right around the time he starts crowing...
    He's a handsome roo, that's for sure!
    ~Sarah

7. phillip0104

Apr 15, 2017
    Yes he, I guess, is a golden laced wyandotte. And thank you he is a strapping young lad. I'm pretty excited he's a he. Never raised a rooster before

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Phillip [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Looks like a roo to me also, the red comb, the wattles, the BIG legs etc. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by