New to BYC. Have had chickens for a while.

Backwoods Chick

Hatching
6 Years
Have had chickens for a few years. Have 6 red laying hens, had a Golden Rooster but he was always starting a fight with a dog and guess that's what finally got him. Managed to hatch out 4 eggs while he was still around (2 roos, 2 hens). They are 4 mos old and think they are fertilizing the eggs and put 4 in the bator today. Plan to keep adding some eggs for a while. Guess that's not the best way to do it, but trying to save up a batch and doing all at once didn't work well either. Friend ran the incubator last time, so I'll be doing that this time. Have a farm in Central Texas, 60 acres, 50+ goats - mostly pregnant nannies so things will probably be getting really busy wih that. They are Boer and Spanish, mixed, and crossed. Everything has pretty much free range. Chickens survive on grasshoppers all summer, and love scorpions and spiders. All my other friends have trouble with scorpions and spiders, I hardly ever see one. In the winter I'll close up the chickens at night or if I think there's a predator around. Have 3 dogs, several cats, and a donkey (think she is pregnant too), who is an excellent guard animal so don't lose many animals. Was worried about the chicks when they were small cause there are some owls and hawks around. Kept them in a chicken wire enclosure so they could get sun and let them out a little more each day. They would usually hide under something, goat trailer, truck, on the porch and think that protected them. Have used BYC in the past to look up answers to questions and found it really helpful. Ya all take care.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Staggered hatches can be done successfully, but it's much easier and better to store eggs up and set them all at the same time. You can
store eggs for up to 2 weeks in a cool, humid environment without losing too much hatchability.

Hard to find a cool, humid place here in Texas. Tried last time storing in and out of the fridge wrapped in towels, loose plastic bag with some water and only 5/30 hatched. An older friend said her mom just used to leave them on the kitchen counter. Figrued I'd try it this way this time. A friend several miles away ran the incubator so I'm a newbie to that. Somewhere along the process we had a storm and the power went out and he was a total wreck, Thought I was going to have to take a generator to him just to keep the 'bator running. Bator is an antique, I guess, like everything else around here and working with a minimum of equipment and a whole lot of prayer. Been holding at 99 degrees by a Tractor Supply old-fashioned poultry thermometer that we bought last year. Not even sure what I'll do with more chickens, just give most of the eggs away to friends. Will try to sex the eggs so I don't end up with all roosters. A fellow I met said they had chicken houses with thousands of chickens and he never heard of sexing an egg? But I just go by what I read on the internet and then make a go of it. People have given me a few roosters over the years and it seems like they have all been attack roosters, even following me in the house and attacking me. Well have to repair a roof on a goat house, rake up some hay for bedding for the chickens this winter, and then go do my regular job. Take care and thanks.

Beautiful part of the country where you are at. Lived in Maine for 20 years, but got too old to cut all that firewood, and work 3 jobs to keep the fuel truck showing up to heat an old farmhouse, and shovel snow constantly. Didn't realize Texas was this hot!! Have a fishing camp up in Northern Quebec 200 miles from the nearest town to get away from the heat. Maybe when I retire in a few years (HA!!) I can spend all the summers up there, well both days of summer. I've got 50+ goats, saw a T-shirt that said, "The little voices in my head keep telling me to get more goats." Now I'm trying to hatch chickens. Lord willing, I'll have lots of them. If you'll send some cool moist air this way, I'll send plenty of hot and dry your way.

Beautiful part of the country where you are at. Lived in Maine for 20 years, but got too old to cut all that firewood, and work 3 jobs to keep the fuel truck showing up to heat an old farmhouse, and shovel snow constantly. Didn't realize Texas was this hot!! Have a fishing camp up in Northern Quebec 200 miles from the nearest town to get away from the heat. Maybe when I retire in a few years (HA!!) I can spend all the summers up there, well both days of summer. I've got 50+ goats, saw a T-shirt that said, "The little voices in my head keep telling me to get more goats." Now I'm trying to hatch chickens. Lord willing, I'll have lots of them. If you'll send some cool moist air this way, I'll send plenty of hot and dry your way.

Back
Top Bottom