New to BYC - Hello From Lees Summit, MO

I looked up the LSMO government website and the next meeting on changing the ordinance is 6/19 at 6pm. The local cable station televises the meeting if you're interested in watching it. The website has packet they'll be reviewing with the revised proposed ordinance. Overall looks reasonable.... You can't cull your hens in public where others can witness it (but apparently if the state wildlife code allows gutting and bleeding a deer in your tree of your yard that's ok!) Proposed ordinance still allows up to 6 hens per tract of land, must be kept enclosed or fenced area at all times. They can free range in a fenced yard during daylight hours if supervised, must be secured at night. Coop must be clean, dry, odor-free, impermeable to rodents, birds, dogs, cats, pests, etc., Coop must be made of uniform materials (no scrap or waste board, sheet metal, etc.) and impervious to moisture. Coop must be well maintained and if paint peeling - repaint it. Coop can't be in the front of the yard - backyard only. Coop must be 10 feet from owner's property line and 40 feet from any adjacent resident/dwelling, etc. It goes onto specify size (min 2 sq ft per bird, etc.). Odors must not be perceptible at property line boundaries. Noise can't be loud enough at property line to disturb people of reasonable sensitivity (that made me chuckle). You can't keep any more than 3 cubic ft of manure (lol). So here's hoping this passes the CEDC and goes onto the next council meeting for a vote...the earliest that would happen is July.

At the meeting last night, The EDC ended discussion and voted 3 - 1 to move the ordinances to the full Council. One of the "aye" votes has the potential to change to "no", as the councilman admitted he was not crazy about the idea, but felt it should make it to the full council. So it is still a close issue, and it will help if as many supporters as possible atttend the meeting, when the topic makes the agenda of the full City Council. I hope that happens at the next opportunity, but we will see. My councilman is pretty good about emailing me a heads up.

I started a thread on this outside of the welcome forum. Hopefully this doesn't upset the pecking order here!! :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/795714/lees-summit-mo-ordinance-amendments

Last edited:
I looked up the Lees Summit website and the Chicken Ordinance is going to the city council this week! Thursday July 11th - council meeting starts at 6:15pm. It's #4 on the agenda. Lets all keep our fingers toes and wings crossed that the council votes in favor of the proposed ordinances so hens can be legal residents in the city! :D

I'm in Lee's Summit too. I've thought about chickens for the last couple of years. It probably wont be until next year before we can build a coop, etc. But, I'm super excited about the new ordainances!!

Back
Top Bottom