New to BYC in Michigan

markybones777

Hatching
Apr 23, 2015
Hi everyone,
My name is Mark and I live in the woods of northern Michigan. I have had chickens for almost two years now, which has proven to be a challenge because of the critters that live in the woods near my home. A friend introduced me to chickens with a few ISA Browns, which grew and gave me lots of eggs until a raccoon made a meal of them. After trapping and dispatching the raccoon I bought a few Black Australorps from the local farm store. Then after doing lots of research I bought some beautiful Wheaten/Blue Wheaten chicks from Paul Smith in Texas. He has been very helpful and patient with me as I have had so many questions for him regarding the birds. The birds that I got from him are very beautiful, and I and I am nearly ready to set them up in breeding pens for the first time. I am excited to finally begin raising my first chicks right here at home!

I have learned quite a bit from reading comments in many of the threads on BYC ad well, and I'm grateful to so many of you who have so much knowledge about chickens and how to breed and raise them. I gladly welcome and of the advice and help that you are able to give me as I stumble along to become a knowledgeable breeder myself!
big_smile.png

Thanks so much,

Mark

Welcome to BYC. If you haven't already, you'll soon figure out its much easier to build predator proof coops & runs than try to keep the predators away. I'm in the lower peninsula and don't have loses as long as they are secured at night.

Glad you stopped the raccoon but, plenty more will take his place. Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to check out the predators thread for ways to repel some of the bad guys. Sometimes electrified fencing, can send them on their way. I would also suggest you join your state thread, lots of good people there, and they friendly and thoughtful.
Just put "Michigan," in the search box and it will pop up. BTW sincerely want to welcome you to BackYard chickens. Glad you joined us.

Back
Top Bottom