1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New To BYC + Questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CuteAsAButton, Feb 25, 2017.

1. CuteAsAButton

CuteAsAButton Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Winston Salem, NC
    Howdy! I'm a new member to BYC and I have a few questions. I'm new to the whole poultry thing and I was wondering if I could get some tips? I'm interested in raising quail (button quail, to be exact!) and I need a few pointers in the right direction.

I'm getting some button quail eggs on Friday, and I'm wondering if I should get a different incubator? My current one is a Hovabator but I don't know if it's my best option. Any suggestions?

Also, any recommendations for food brands?

Thank you! ^^

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'd suggest asking your questions on the Quail forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail as members there will be best placed to advise you.

Best wishes
    CT

3. CuteAsAButton

Feb 25, 2017
    Winston Salem, NC
    Oh thanks! I'll be sure to ask there, then. :p

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Quail look like fun, interesting little birds to raise but I've only had chickens. CTKen gave you the best link to find an answer to your question. Best wishes for a great hatch!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under CuteAsAButton [​IMG] Welcome!

Great username! Good luck with the hatch.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. CuteAsAButton

Feb 25, 2017
    Winston Salem, NC
    Aw, thanks y'all for all the warm welcomes! I'm hopin' to make something of myself on this site, sharing bird wisdom and stuff. :p

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. "Cute as a button," is a term I use often. Sorry I don't know about button quail, but, the folks on the "Quail thread," do. Just put that in the search box and it will pop up for you.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Best of luck to you and your quail! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by